Friday, March 9, 2012

The Lord's Prayer


Even though we learned The Lord’s Prayer when we were little, it is amazing to see how much more meaningful the prayer is when we have learned about it. When Jesus gave his disciples this prayer, I think He must have wanted to give them everything so they could pray fully. We recite this prayer together every Sunday, but it has gotten more of my careful attention because of our Lenten series. I hope you all feel the same way. 

There will be several opportunities to hear The Lord’s Prayer, in various forms, during this Sunday’s worship services. At the 8:00 AM and 11:00 AM services, Mark Cooke will play The Lord’s Prayer on his trumpet. In addition, the Sanctuary Choir will sing, “The Lord’s Prayer” right after we say The Lord’s Prayer in unison at 11:00 o’clock service.   Our youngest member of the Sanctuary Choir, Linda Scott, will praise, “Precious Jesus” as an offertory.  Linda graduated from George Mason University last December with a major in music education. She has been with us for several years and it is a true pleasure to have her in the choir.

God has given special power to music. Music can help us to focus on Him and feel His presence mysteriously.  I would like to strongly recommend that you try using the power of music with your prayers. When you are praying at home, try to sing your favorite hymns to begin. Or, sing The Lord’s Prayer instead of reciting it. I pray that we can have an experience of God’s presence through music everywhere and at any time. I am sure it will give you power and strength.

One more note, if you want to proclaim, “Christ is risen! Halleluiah!,” please join our Easter choir. Two rehearsals are on March 28 and April 4 from 7:30-9:00 PM. I believe you will find a special joy through this participation.

Here are the words to the offertory, “Precious Jesus” by Jay Althouse.

All that I am and all that I can be, all that I know and all that I can see: These are the things my Jesus gave to me, Jesus, my Lord and friend.

Once I was alone and day seemed dark as night. Once I was blind, but I’ve been given sight.

Jesus, my redeemer, led me to the light, Jesus, my lord and friend.

Precious Jesus, blessed Jesus, You’re my life, my joy, my friend.

Precious Jesus, blessed Jesus, Your love is a love without end.

Now, like a shepherd, He guides me on my way. Now I will follow, I cannot go astray.
Jesus, keep me near You; this I humbly pray. Jesus, my Lord and friend.  

No comments:

Post a Comment